Wednesday 18 April 2012

Sightseeing Stops Added

Well, it's been quite a few days since I last posted. I have not been idle though. Having got everything booked up, I have traced the route in Google maps and picked out some places of interest, I/we think we'd like to stop off at. Grizzly was a big influence in the Irish part of the tour. There were one or two places I picked out but mostly lots of green fields. It certainly helped to have 'local' knowledge and we now have quite an exciting and entertaining route mapped out across the Irish sea. There may still be some minor tweaks to the mainland route, as Dudley chips in with some possible things to see in/around Keswick but otherwise we're sorted.

I've also started to look at our fuel stop requirements. Biggsey and I can probably cover around 190 miles comfortably but Grizzly and Dudley are probably more like 140 miles. To avoid any calamities, I'm proposing we fill up every 120 miles, wherever possible. The first part of the journey looks to be the most challenging on that front, at the moment, as petrol stations are few and far between up and over the Welsh mountains. I'm getting a little help from the Shell/BP/Esso websites and Google maps isn't too bad at listing them either. Last of all, Tomtom has fuel stations programmed in as POI (Point of Interest).

The trip seems to be coming up rather fast. It's now only 3 months away and I for one can't wait. Before that though, I've got a holiday to Sicily with my partner Catherine, then almost immediately, a trip to Le Mans for the French MotoGP, with my brother Paul.

Watch out for the route map, coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment