Tuesday 29 May 2012

Keeping those tootsies dry!

I've been toying with the idea of getting some new boots before the tour. More specifically, some that are waterproof. I'd like to try and keep the same make/design, SIDI, as they are a good fit, allowing them to fit around the leg of the leathers comfortably. Some others,  look flash but don't have the freedom in the calf, to even allow you to get the zip done up with leathers tucked inside. Anyway, Sidi waterproof jobbies come in at around £320. A bit steep me thinks.

Anyway, the recent wet weekend in Le Mans focused the mind in this area again, Wet boots, wet socks and wrinkled toes. We'd crossed the river Somme on the way down but I didn't expect to get trench foot! My brother Paul on the other hand, had no such issues. The secret.....Sealskinz waterproof socks. Yes, I kid you not, all you non walkers, cyclists, bikers, you can buy such a thing. A wool covered condom for your foot!

On my return to drier climes, I duly checked out the Sealskinz.  Now, they aren't cheap for a sock (£24 a pair) but a fair bit cheaper than new boots. Given I have my Sidi racing boots and (as my sis-in-law Claire would say) my gay (cruiser) boots, it made sense to get a couple of pairs of the socks.

Ordered Sunday, they duly arrived at my office this morning. So that is one bit less to worry about in preparation for the tour. Given we are going to be travelling through Wales, Scotland and Ireland, I guarantee they will get some use.

Next on the list, are some new waterproof trousers. The ones I have are very lightweight and as such just can't hold up to the rigours of being scraped and bashed about. Catching my knee against a bollard on the way back from Le mans (walking, I should say) put a nice little hole in them. Good for ventilation, not good keeping the rain out! I expect I'll head down to Hein Gericke, to see if I can get some to match my jacket.

No comments:

Post a Comment