Sunday 5 August 2012

It's not only gold that glitters

We were in Waterford to visit the Waterford Crystal factory.

The crystal glass in this place is stunning. Watching the craftsmen blowing, shaping and cutting is just amazing. It takes 8 years for them to learn the skills properly. Imagine then, having a go yourself. Grizzly had asked one guy how many times me made a booboo and nearly got a thump for his troubles but as we walked on the guy came up to Grizzly and asked if he wanted to try it himself. Quite amazingly the guy let Grizzly use the diamond cutter to cut a pattern into the bottom of a glass tumbler. The concentration on his face was something to behold. When done the guy praised how accurate he had been and sent him on his way with the tumbler as a souvenir. Awesome!

In the shop, Dudley and I made some purchases for our loved ones, a small carved Seahorse in a lovely presentation case. I'd hardly spoken to Cath on this trip, hopefully that would make up for the lack of contact.

Glass Globe, stunning!
We left Waterford on the last leg of the Reservoir Hogs Tour, an hour or so ride into Wexford. The skies looked very threatening and a rainbow in front of us gave me a clue of what lie ahead. I pulled over and both Dudley and I put our waterproofs on again.  Sure enough, the heavens opened up once more. Like London buses, nothing for days, then two torrential downpours come at once. On entering Wexford, I had my only moment of the entire tour. Typical, on the last leg! If truth be told it was only a nearly moment but could have been a lot worse. As I was negotiating a roundabout, in the rain, roads soaking wet, I suddenly spot a fat juicy manhole cover, right on the apex!! What the FECK? Now my tyres had been brilliant thus far in all conditions but I wasn't about to test them with this, so I had no option but to stand the bike upright to run across it, sending me heading towards the kerb. With no additional obstacles though, I was able to then lean the bike over to make it round safely. Quickly, I glanced in my mirrors to check Dudley and the others got round safely, which they all did. What an unbelievably stupid place to site a manhole!

A few minutes later we were parking up in the gravel (careful Dudley!) car park of the Faythe Guest House. Unloaded, checked in and showered we prepared to hit the town for our last evening together and our farewell dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment