Sunday 5 August 2012

Next please. Lie down, grab the handles, lean back. Next please.

The short walk from the hotel saw us inside Blarney Castle grounds and we were soon climbing the narrow spiral staircase to the top of the castle and the famous Blarney stone. There were two guys working the stone. One takes the photo (you can purchase on exit) and gives you a numbered slip, the other, the main man, stops you slipping to your death whilst kissing the stone. "Lie down, grab the handles, lean back. Next please", over and over again. Grizzly went first, so I could get some photos of him, then it was my turn. I did as instructed and all within 30 seconds the deed was done. Next up was Dudley, Grizzly obliging with the photos of both of us. Biggsey was nowhere to be seen. We waited, a good 5 minutes or more but no sign. Perhaps he has bottled it we think. He wouldn't have been the only one. It was surprising how many people wouldn't kiss the stone. My question, why go to Blarney Castle, which is famous for the Blarney Stone and NOT kiss the fecker?

We started our descent, when I met Biggsey on his way up. His story is, that he got chatting to 4 girls from the US. Blimey, you can't let that bloke out of your sight for 5 minutes!! I followed him back to the top and took a couple of snaps on the phone, before we made our way down to meet the others.

The Blarney Stone

The deed done, a pint beckoned. Grizzley was keen that after having tried the Guinness, I now try Murphy's. Before that though we made a quick stop in the souvenir shop at the exit to the castle grounds. Dudley was busy buying stuff for his grandchildren and Grizzly bought another sticker (I think). I was just perusing but became aware that whatever Biggsey had decided to buy, he'd managed to find a very attractive member of staff to serve him. This is one guy with no need to kiss any bleeding stone!! "Hi, my name's Biggsey". As he left the store the young woman and her colleague began talking about him. They even called a male member of staff over to share the story, though I couldn't quite make out what they were saying, I gathered the young woman was quite taken with the encounter.

A freshen up and Dud and I headed for the bar. Biggsey and Grizzly were already there, talking to a couple of women. I'm presented with a pint of Murphy's. To Grizzly's dismay, I didn't really like it. Guinness wins!



The guy at the stone had recommended a place on the square to eat and drink. One look at the menu though, left us uninspired, so we decided to do Chinese instead. It was Friday evening but we managed to get a table no problem. The food was excellent. Grizzley suggested the chow mein dish he had was the best he'd ever tasted, so he'd be making a trip back in the not too distant future.

From the Chinese, we hit the recommended bar. I didn't fancy Murphy's again and was weighing up the options when I noticed they had Blue Moon on draft. Heaven! This is my favourite beer from the Route 66 trip. 2 pints were sunk whilst we sat half chatting and watching the Olympic opening ceremony on the TV.  We were all lined up against the bar and unfortunately for Biggsey he ended up on the end with Mr Shouty. Boy this guy was loud, he made Grizzly sound like whispering Ted Lowe!

Back at the Blarney Castle, we had more drink (I had a coke this time) before retiring for the evening. Not though, before I had attracted the attention of the barmaid and her colleague with an impromptu Riverdance. They were keen for me to carry on, more for amusement value than for my technical ability I suspect but........ I normally charge for that! And with that it was off to bed!

1 comment: