Thursday 2 August 2012

My first Guinness in 35 years!

Our overnighter in Athlone, was a touch of luxury, The Radisson Blu. We rode around the end of the barrier to the car park and found ourselves some spaces! Anyone wanna argue with The Hogs?

As one would expect, the hotel was very posh. The young lady checking us in was very pleasant and more than happy to let me babble on about being Biggsey's agent and him being an author. Not sure she believed us, she probably meets all sorts in her job. As the others joined us at the desk we gave them their key cards and then all made our way to the third floor. I was sleeping with Biggsey tonight.

If truth be told, the room, though very nice, was a little on the snug side. The view though, could not be faulted, overlooking the River Shannon. There were cruisers moored up. Now that's a way to arrive!



  
For days and days talk had been about the Guinness in Ireland. People always say how much better it is over there. As the last time I had Guinness was in 1977, a pint I absolutely hated, I recall, I wasn't keen to check the theory out. Grizzly, however, insisted that when we got to Athlone, I HAD to try a pint. Oh, what the hell, he was buying. And so I took my first sip of Guinness since the 27th February 1977. And, it was a very decent pint.


Mmm, not bad.
That little test over with we ventured out to find something to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment