Saturday 23 June 2012

Starting to worry now

I can hardly believe that the tour is now only 25 days away. It doesn't seem that long ago that the countdown clock was showing 90 days. Now with under 30 to go, it seems to be racing. I've just realised that I only have 2 weekends left to get the bike serviced and new tyres fitted. Next Saturday, I'm off to Cambridge with my brother, for the AMRR, the annual Allied Memorial Remembrance Ride to the American cemetery at Madingley, so that puts the 30th out of the equation. I might just have to drop it in during the week instead and work from home.

I must say I'm starting to worry a tad about the current inclemency of the weather. It just seems to be non stop rain at the moment, so I'm keeping everything crossed summer finally arrives, by 18th July and stays for at least 2 weeks!  The last UK tour I did in 2009, again in mid July, turned out to be the wettest July week on record! I didn't have much luck in the Isle of Man last year either and none of the Hogs will ever forget the torrential rain we rode through in Oklahoma in 2010. So, I'm not expecting it to be dry for the entire tour, especially as we are travelling through Wales, Scotland and Ireland, for the most part of it. Not exactly known for long dry summers in either of those!  Maybe we should have gone to Europe instead. I blame Biggsey totally, as it was his idea to 'do a few days in Scotland'!

One good thing though, at least the hosepipe ban has been lifted, so I should be able to get out (if it doesn't rain) and give the Bandit it's first clean since the wet weekend in March, when it got totally covered in dirt and mud. Sure, some of it was washed off in the torrential rain in Le Mans last month (there's a picture developing here) but it's way overdue some suds and elbow grease.

No comments:

Post a Comment